These Yellow-legged Gulls (Larus michahellis) were all photographed in a yacht harbour on the south side of the Ebro Delta, eastern Spain, on November 17, 2016; SOME INDIVIDUALS MAY BE REPEATED IN THIS SERIES!:
- many of the adults have subterminal black on the bill - some have thick black across both mandibles.
- almost all the adults are white-headed by mid-November.
- One adult has P9 and P8 still growing; one has a black band across P4.
- some of the first-cycles exhibit extensive wear... due to nesting environment?
- most of the first-cycles have replaced a large number of juvenile wing coverts/tertials
- some of the first-cycles have a pale tip to the upper mandible.
First group of adults (flying)
Second group of adults (flying)
Third group of adults (swimming)
Fourth group of adults (swimming)
First-cycle birds .
Second-cycle birds .